Among our most popular selling items, Pfeiffer™ products were originated in the 1940’s by Dr. Ehrenfried Pfeiffer with the purpose of helping to make biodynamics more accessible to home gardeners, conventional farmers, and composters. JPI is the exclusive owner of these proprietary formulas.
The Pfeiffer™ Biodynamic (BD) Compost Starter contains all of the compost preparations (BD #502-507), Horn Manure BD (#500) plus a concentrated mixture of cultivated strains of beneficial soil bacteria, enzymes, fungi, and plant growth promoting factors which increase the proliferation of microorganisms resulting in more rapid decomposition of materials, stabilization of nitrogen, and transformation to colloidal humus.
Composition of the Pfeiffer™ BD Compost Starter
This potent Compost Starter contains the biodynamic agricultural preparations BD #500, #502, #503, #504, #505, #506, and #507, which give this product its unique effectiveness. It also contains a concentrated mixture of several cultivated strains of beneficial soil bacteria, enzymes, fungi, and plant growth promoting factors. Properly prepared for use, each ounce can yield more than 1.36 billion CFU’s (colony forming units) of beneficial organisms.
Benefits of the Pfeiffer™ BD Compost Starter
This Compost Starter helps to ensure proper introduction of the BD preparations with minimal knowledge of biodynamic agriculture. It is unequaled in its composting effect, yielding a rapid breakdown of material.
Under proper conditions of moisture, aeration, and organic matter (as given in the Carbon/Nitrogen ratio below), the BD Compost Starter will:
- Quickly decompose raw organic matter, breaking it down into simpler compounds
- Re-assemble these simple compounds into complex long-lasting humus
- Fix nitrogen from the air and otherwise make it available for plant nutrition
- Increase the availability of minerals, transforming them into their available form
- Hold the soil and improve its structure
- Prevent leaching and washing away of soil, and lessen or eliminate erosion
The special humus producing character of the BD Compost Starter yields high quality compost full of beneficial soil organisms and colloidal humus. Benefits include:
- Improved soil structure. Soil is easier to prepare and cultivate
- Improved water drainage. Water more readily is absorbed and penetrates deeper.
- Root growth is stimulated.
- Nitrogen release is steady and without losses.
- Nutrients are preserved and made available. Absorption of nutrients is facilitated.
- Health soil micro-life is fostered and maintained.
One unit (one ounce) of BD Compost Starter is sufficient for approximately 1 to 1.5 tons (or 1.5 to 2.25 cubic yards) of material. One unit is the smallest quantity we can ship. One ton will be a cube of material measuring on average 4.5’ x 4.5’ x 4.5’ for most materials intended for composting. Activation of one rounded tablespoon (1 Tbsp.) should be sufficient for ½ to ¾ of a ton.
Activation and Application instructions (pdf): Pfeiffer BD Compost Starter
For additional information, visit: JPI Preparation Articles & Instruction Handouts