Originally published in the early 1970s as The Cow Economy and reprinted many times over, Keeping a Family Cow has launched thousands of holistic small-scale dairy farmers and families raising healthy cows in accordance with their true nature. The book offers answers to frequently asked questions like, ‘Should I get a cow?’ and ‘How Much Space do I need?’ in addition to extensive information on:
• The health benefits of untreated milk;
• How to milk a cow effectively and with ease;
• Choosing your dairy breed;
• Drying off your cow;
• Details on calving and breeding;
• The importance of hay quality and how to properly feed your cow;
• Fencing and pasture management;
• Housing, water systems, and other supplies;
• Treating milk fever and other diseases and disorders;
• Making butter, yogurt, and cheese, and, of course . . .
• . . . Everything else the conventional dairy industry doesn’t tell us!
Associative Contract deadline has been extended to April 31st!
We will be extending the deadline for applying for an Associative Contract with JPI. We have heard from our biodynamic community that during this crisis, more time is needed for this service. Click this popup to continue to our Associative Contract page.